Healthy Eating Week is an annual event that takes place in the UK, usually in June. The event aims to encourage people to make healthier food choices and to raise awareness about the importance of a balanced and varied diet.
With Healthy Eating Week coming up 12-16 June, I wanted to share some benefits of healthy eating and an overview of the event.
What is Healthy Eating Week?
Healthy Eating Week was launched by the British Nutrition Foundation in 2013. The week-long event takes place in schools, workplaces, and other settings across the UK. The aim of the event is to promote healthy eating and to encourage people to make healthier choices when it comes to food.
The event is based on five key principles:
- Eating a variety of foods
- Eating at least five portions of fruits and vegetables a day
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Eating breakfast
- Being physically active
Each day of the week is dedicated to one of these principles, and activities and resources are provided to help people learn more about each principle and how to incorporate it into their daily lives.
The Benefits of Healthy Eating
There are many benefits to eating a healthy and balanced diet. Here are just a few:
- Improved overall health: Eating a balanced and varied diet can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and certain cancers.
- Increased energy: Eating a healthy diet can help you feel more energised throughout the day, which can improve your productivity and concentration.
- Better mood: Eating a healthy diet has been linked to improved mental health and mood.
- Improved digestion: A diet that includes plenty of fibre can help promote healthy digestion and reduce the risk of constipation and other digestive issues.
- Better weight management: Eating a healthy diet can help you maintain a healthy weight, which can reduce the risk of obesity and related health problems.
How to Eat Healthily
Eating healthily doesn't have to be difficult or complicated. Here are some tips to help you make healthier food choices:
- Eat a variety of foods: Aim to eat a variety of different foods from each food group, including fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
- Choose nutrient rich foods. Check the nutrition label and choose foods higher in nutrients and lower in ingredients we should consume less of.
- Drink plenty of fluids: Aim to drink at least 8 cups of water a day, and limit your intake of sugary drinks like soda and juice drinks.
- Pay attention to portion sizes: Pay attention to portion sizes, and try to eat until you are comfortably full, rather than until you are stuffed.
Healthy Eating Week is a great opportunity to learn more about healthy eating and to make positive changes to your diet. By following the five principles of Healthy Eating Week and incorporating healthy eating habits into your daily routine, you can enjoy the many benefits of a balanced and varied diet.
Healthy Eating Week 2023 is celebrated from 12th Jun to 16th Jun 2023. Despite being sponsored by the British Nutrition Foundation, it is not limited to the UK but is considered a global initiative. Learn more at: https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthy-eating-week/
Written by Renata Cassar, LatAm Head of Nutrition, Global Nutrition.